What does the name mean?
The name ‘ottoneu’ is derived from Otto Neu, a shortstop who played in one game in 1917 for the St. Louis Browns. In this game against the Yankees, he did not have a fielding chance or an at-bat. Check out his FanGraphs player card.
Why play ottoneu?
ottoneu is smarter, better fantasy baseball. We looked at the various ways that fantasy baseball wasn’t living up to the sport it was based on and we improved each one.
- Depth and Breadth With 12-team leagues, 40-man rosters, full access to the minor leagues, and competition as knowledgeable about baseball as you are, the challenge of building a winner is that much more exciting.
- Build for Today and Tomorrow The end of the regular season is just the beginning. With ottoneu fantasy baseball, you have the option to keep every single player on your roster from one season to the next. Find the perfect match of stars and prospects to stay competitive for the long haul. Move expensive players for keepers if you’re playing for the future, or sacrifice your future for today. The result is more options, more flexibility, and a better fantasy baseball experience.
- Auctions for Everyone Gone are the days of lamenting your pick in the draft or missing out on a free agent because you could not get to your computer in time. All players in ottoneu fantasy baseball are distributed via league-wide auctions. The market dictates, and every team wins.
How much does this cost?
While there are promotions all the time, the base cost for one team for one season is $9.99, or less than $1 a month.
Are there any prizes for winning an ottoneu league?
Yes! We have prize tiers! You can check out the details here.
Oh man, this is a pretty deep game. Where can I read a bit about ottoneu strategy?
Yeah, ottoneu is a pretty deep game, but one of the great benefits of being aligned with FanGraphs is that there is no shortage of great writing about ottoneu. Start with Chad Young’s columns on RotoGraphs.
How does the auction draft work?
Where is insert player’s name and why can’t I add him to my team?
We are proud of having one of the deepest player universes out there. If you want to start an auction on an American professional baseball player that you can’t find on ottoneu, contact us and we will do everything we can to add this player.
Do I need 40 players on my team to accumulate stats?
No! You will always accumulate stats, though if your team is in an illegal state, you won’t be able to change lineups or make trades without first resolving that.
How do cap penalties work?
If you cut a player in the off-season (after the regular season ends and before the keeper deadline), there is no penalty of any sort. However, during the season, there is a 50% penalty rounded up for any cuts. So if you cut a $50 player, he will count $25 against your cap. If you cut a $1 player, he counts a full $1 against your cap, so be careful! If another team either claims the player off of waivers for the full amount or wins the player during a 48-hour auction, your cap penalty is fully removed.
What are the different game types?
There are 3 game types for ottoneu fantasy baseball. They differ in the categories used and the scoring methods:
- Old School – Rotisserie-style 5×5 (AVG, HR, RBI, SB, R and W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K). For the traditionalist in you.
- ottoneu Classic – Rotisserie-style 4×4 sabermetric-hybrid (OBP, SLG, HR, R and ERA, WHIP, HR/9, K). This is the stat set of the original league that has been active since 2005.
- FanGraphs Points – Points based on Linear Weights. Based on work by Justin Merry. Read his great FAQ about the system, or read more detailed pieces behind the hitting and pitching point values.
Hitting AB -1.0 H 5.6 2B 2.9 3B 5.7 HR 9.4 BB 3.0 HBP 3.0 SB 1.9 CS -2.8 Pitching IP 7.4 K 2.0 H -2.6 BB -3.0 HBP -3.0 HR -12.3 SV 5.0 HOLDS 4.0
- SABR Points – Like FanGraphs points, but with FIP-based pitching scoring. The original points system!
Hitting AB -1.0 H 5.6 2B 2.9 3B 5.7 HR 9.4 BB 3.0 HBP 3.0 SB 1.9 CS -2.8 Pitching IP 5.0 K 2.0 BB -3.0 HBP -3.0 HR -13.0 SV 5.0 HOLDS 4.0